Monday, January 14, 2013

A Run to the Cabrits

A quick 2 day update before I get back to this bear I need to tackle called studying. So yesterday concluded my first weekend and I finished it off with a nice 5 mile run. I joined a group on campus called the "Ross Runners" or something like that.  I met Mike, Kristen, and Claire who led the way to the Cabrits. I'll post a picture later as to where this is in relation to campus.

 The beginning of the run...




 ...and the connected part that looks like an island is the Cabrits





 To this point it had not rained all day. When we left, I was drenched head to toe before I had run the first quarter mile.  So we started our journey running north through Glanvilla and eventually through Portsmouth. We passed the Indian River (where I took an earlier tour, see my other posts) and then later passed the street where the farmer's market took place last week Saturday that I attended (also see other posts). The Cabrits is quite a ways past that. At the Cabrits I was told that it used to be a base for protection from invaders and whatnot hundreds of years ago (similar to Scott's Head which also had cannons) but now it has been converted to a nice place to hangout, with a pavilion, a bar and some good places to snorkel. I however didn't bring a camera on the run or do any of these fun things, but at least now I know about them. Also, on the way to the Cabrits we had a nice young fellow join our 4 man pack who I've named Bruce. He was a feral dog that wanted to have some fun. I wish I was joking, but he joined us for at least two miles of our run. It was quite entertaining to have him there and oftentimes he would zoom in between us to get ahead and then look back at us as if thinking "Come on you slackers! Get a move on!" But he would eventually stop to drink out of a muddy puddle or pee on the occasional bush to give us a chance to catch up. He was quite the entertainer.
 An hour later I arrived back home, took a cold shower to cool off (It already was the coolest day of the year here at 70 degrees). Then I began my studying for the night.


Today was yet again another wake up call. I had the (not so) brilliant idea to wake up early to look over some slides before class. I did, kind of. I was too incoherent to see straight. so after half an hour I waited for my real alarm to go off to make some oatmeal and drink some TANG I made. (It's the best substitute for orange juice and I can still avoid scurvy by getting some vitamin C) Class this morning reminded me of early morning biochem at Albion. I love the subject, but I wasn't awake enough to grasp anything. So here I am now, studying the same stuff I "heard" this morning. I understand it mostly now though which is a plus. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to "intake" the information. I'm worried that I'm not testing myself enough to see what I have retained, but we will know come this weekend. I have my first big exam called "MINI 1" next Monday so pray that I can answer the convoluted MCAT -like questions and survive.

Sorry that I had no pictures to update you all with today, I hope that my stories are descriptive enough to paint your imagination a nice picture.


a friend of mine recently wrote this and I feel that it summarizes med school nicely:

(stu)dent + dying = studying!

That is all


Nick :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment