Saturday, March 16, 2013

More adventures :-) and "sea" creatures

After the exam I took a glorious weekend break to alleviate the stress, while the agony of not knowing how I did looming in the back of my mind. On this exam, I told myself that I would go with my gut feeling no matter what. And it worked. I managed to pass my exam. I was very pleased, because in medical school, you aim for the stars and just hope to pass. This past exam was the most difficult that I have encountered thus far and I worked my butt off, and it paid off.

This whole week was very exciting for me. Primarily because I finally feel like I'm studying medicine. We are learning about the heart and lungs, which (ironically) has a special place in my heart.  A little over three years ago I lost my dad to heart disease, and the nature of his condition, and the procedures he underwent are beginning to make sense. I've been telling people for years that my dad had a triple bypass, and multiple stents, but now I am really understanding what that means, and it's a welcoming feeling.

Yesterday (friday night), We waited for Matt's daughter to get out of school before walking to his house for the evening.

 Matt waiting patiently. Kind of reminds me of one of these.


Matt and his daughter



I got to play with his kid's, make noise, and be silly. Stephanie, Brad and Kim joined shortly after and we watched  a few episodes of Game of Thrones. Matt's wifey Tamara made some delicious shepherd pie and bread. (I failed to take a picture, but take my word for it, it was scrumptious.) We left around 10pm and I went home and crashed because I had a long day.

 This morning Curvin the laundry guy, woke me up to collect  my socks and undies. Shortly after, I walked to Stephanie's house and we met Matt and Tamara at the beach. I went where no Nick (me) has gone before! Here are pictures of today's beach adventure:

 The long walk.
 I LOVE these guys. This is a pelican. You know, the one that saved Dori and Nemo's Dad from the crazy dumpster chickens (seagulls). I  watched this guy dive head first into the water a dozen times today, hoping to catch some lunch. It was quite a site. :-)
 So we were all having a dandy time swimming in the ocean, and I felt a few warm patches (thanks Matt). The warm patches however were coming from the sand... It felt like it was a natural hot spring or something. The sand felt like the hot rice things that go around your neck to relieve soreness.

 A little while later Matt felt something scratching his foot, so he reached down to grab the crud off when he found this little gem. :-)
 Matt and his sea-star!
 Can you see the little tube feet?

 My "adopted" nephew




 After a few hours in the sun, I started packing my things up. I grabbed the towel and the last things I picked up were my shoes. To my surprise, I had a visitor hiding out beneath my sandals. :-)



 Look at those eyes!

Stephanie had the courage to touch him :-)


And here is a conglomeration of  photos from earlier in the week.

 A fraction of what I learned.

 Hard to see, but the waves were abnormally intense this night. 
This guy was surfing. I really want to learn how.
 Picture from Le Flambeau Restaurant
 Ruth and Rob eating dinner with me after the exam

 Giant moth outside my window.

After my anatomy lab this week, I was reminded of one of my favorite childhood stories.


 Look familiar?
 At first glance, I thought this guy had wings.
 The roof, the roof, the roof is on fire!
 Kim
 Matt
 Stephanie

 Creamsickle float at Stephanie's
 Early morning silhouettes.
 My wrap. Is it colorful enough food network professional Kim?


 Something I always wondered about. This is a remnant of history, smack dab in the middle of campus. What you see is a relic from the past few hundred years. What used to be a part of a plantation, mill  or something similar. The large wheel was likely used to grind a crop like sugar cane when the British inhabited the island.
 Birdie on the seaside deck.
 Being studious.


The last thing I felt like mentioning is that I had a lecture this week that made me feel like going on a health binge. I'm going to try working out just about every day. So far, I've been achieving  my goal :-) let's see how long it lasts.





I hope you enjoyed my blog!


Nick

No comments:

Post a Comment